We can safely say we are in the final phases of our big project. Parishioners, staff, designers, inspectors, contractors, and subcontractors are working hand in hand to bring everything to a conclusion.
- A row of cedars and holly bushes lines the pavement beside the Morehead parking lot. Rich turf surrounds the entrance and the historic marker beside the chapel. Cyclists can park their steeds at handsome bike racks. The playground awaits.
- The new elevator has been commissioned and staff trained in all its various functions. The slate floor matches the floor in the entrance hall and the walls are wooden paneling with stainless steel accents. We all look forward to going up together!
- A cohort of workers has been beneath the parking lot, via the manholes, checking on the storm trap to see how it’s been performing over the past six weeks. They will be back to check again in a couple of months.
- The HVAC contractors and control system designers have been fine-tuning and tweaking the HVAC, including the old systems in the church and chapel, which are not new but are governed by new controls. This Sunday you may see signs that our system is being watched!
- The beautiful reception desk and library shelves — built from red oak from the trees we cut down a year ago — are ready to be put into service.
- The transition committee is preparing for the move from temporary quarters into the new building, set to occur at this writing next week.
It’s happening! As we begin a new era of worship and ministry, watch for ways to get oriented physically and grounded spiritually in our new home. We are preparing maps and signs, planning gatherings large and small, and highlighting the involvement of diverse and varied parishioners in the work of the Chapel of the Cross.
Plan to attend the Outreach and Engagement Fair with Dinner on the Grounds on September 28. Celebrate the dedication of the building on October 5, followed by a potluck and a special congregational meeting. Begin to discern how you will be present at the Chapel of the Cross and what your gifts will be as we live into our legacy.
This fall we will also open the 2015 annual fund campaign, You Are Here. The annual fund supports our programming, outreach ministry, building upkeep, and staff. Just a few weeks remain in 2014 — is your Spirit at Work pledge up to date?